[Smt-talk] FW: Gender Terminology in Music Theory

Stephen Jablonsky jablonsky at optimum.net
Wed Apr 30 06:06:32 PDT 2014

I am amused by the line of this discussion because I began studying music theory 60 years ago in a world that was very different from today. It was a time when you could say “feminine cadence” and no one blinked. That’s because the idea of any living thing besides whie men having rights was unknown. Our thought patterns were filled with stereotypes that were never questioned. We all knew that the downbeat was stronger than the beats that lead up to it, so we had no trouble ascribing it as a male attribute as long as we did no thinking about the words we were using. We have certainly come a long way since then. At least now we do something that passes for thinking about critical issues, probably enough to disconnect “strong” from “masculine.” I am sure Catherine the Great would agree, and probably Margaret Thacher and Hillary Clinton as well. Let’s not forget all those amazing ladies we have admired in the Winter and Summer Olympics. I can see them getting  to the downbeat on time.

Dr. Stephen Jablonsky, Ph.D.
Music Department Chair
The City College of New York
Shepard Hall Room 72