[Smt-talk] Advocating for the humanities

Danny Jenkins jenkins.danny at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 15:09:27 PDT 2014

Dear Dr. Whitcomb,

There are two lists, smt-announce and smt-talk. The original emails went
out to smt-announce. I do think that agents of SMT and AMS have a
responsibility to inform us through this venue when a major funding source
such as the NEH is in jeopardy. I also appreciated that Bob Judd included
information such as quotations from the original law and experiences he has
had as to what kind of arguments those in power seem to respond to. I would
feel the same way if, for example, the University of Oklahoma wanted to
shutter the Gail Boyd de Stwolinski Center for Music Theory Pedagogy. I
would want to know not only whom to write to in order to express my
concern, but I would also want as much information as possible to help me
better craft my letter.

I do not believe that everything must involve politics, but where and when
politics intersects with funding for music theory research, I think it is
the proper and responsible thing for those who study music theory to
discuss it. You make an argument that governmental funding might be
detrimental to the humanities. Perhaps others will take you up on this
point. If they do, I think smt-talk would be an appropriate place for those
who value music theory to participate in that discussion. For ultimately I
agree with you that "people should always allow for the possibility that
others might hold an opinion (and goals, and values) different from
theirs." We cannot do this if we disallow the voicing of these opinions in
the first place.

All best,
J. Daniel Jenkins
Associate Professor of Music