[Smt-talk] Advocating for the humanities

Whitcomb, Benjamin D whitcomb at uww.edu
Tue Apr 8 04:40:00 PDT 2014

Dr. Antila,

(1) My comments were true and designed to illustrate a point at the same time.
(2) Who is advocating ignoring political challenges? I am arguing that they should be discussed on some other forum.
(3) Who is to determine what are the "right" political moves? You? The very idea that there is one and only one "right" set of political moves that all theorists should adopt is naïve, to say the least.
(4) Are you wanting to base these "right"  political ideas on those of Schenker?

Again, if you want to talk politics, why don't you go join some humanities advocacy group, so that this list can be dedicated to the discussion of music theory?

-Benjamin

Dr. Benjamin Whitcomb
Professor of Cello and Music Theory
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater