[Smt-talk] Advocating for the humanities

Frank Riddick friddick at ou.edu
Tue Apr 8 09:59:28 PDT 2014

I think Jeff Perry's post has the situation exactly reversed. The
original message to which Ben Whitcomb dissented was sent to the list
precisely because the authors believed they were writing to a
sympathetic audience. I doubt seriously they were expecting anyone to
voice an objection, and they were probably not looking for a
discussion of the issue. They were advocating a certain position, and
they were asking for support. They simply assume that most, if not
all, members of SMT agree with them on the issue of funding the NEH.

More importantly, if the SMT list is not the place to discuss Schenker
and 6/4 chords, then where is?

FR

Frank Riddick
Visiting Assistant Professor of Music Theory
University of Oklahoma