[Smt-talk] Advocating for the humanities

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 07:19:12 PDT 2014

Dear List and Jeffrey,

I agree that the list should be reserved for pure knowledge; for other issues there is FB. However, when the chairs will be pulled from under each of us, we will have to acknowledge the danger of the situation. NEH is an important resource, we do not have many other funding opportunities.

As for the second part of Jeff's replica:

the 6/4 discussion was initiated by Dr. Dmitri Tymoczko and, if I have the right of opinion, I should say that it was the most fruitful discussion of a theory topic I have ever encountered. It was more informative than many of the peer-reviewed paper publications in the WoS journals, many of which are now switching to electronic format because of the crisis of readership.

The Bashing of Schenker is an oxymoron. Schenker bashed 25 centuries worth of music theory; there is nothing wrong in giving him the taste of his own medicine.

The only person that received postings ad hominem, so far, was your faithful. I regret that this has happened and join the colleagues in the desire of keeping the listserv within the purposes of professional field.

Best wishes,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com