[Smt-talk] Gender Terminology in Music Theory

Paul Cadrin paulcadrin at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 29 12:27:55 PDT 2014

In 37 years of teaching basic theory, I have never used such terminology. We already have, in music and poetry, a term to designate what leads up to an accent: anacrusis. Logically, the accent is the "crusis" and what comes after is a "metacrusis".

Therefore, a so-called "masculine" cadence is a crusic cadence, and a so-called "feminine" cadence is a metacrusic cadence. That's the terminology I have always used - logical and non-sexist.

Paul Cadrin
Musicologue sans frontières
2-1475, avenue Desjardins
Montréal (Québec) Canada