[Historyoftheory] History of Theory Events at SMT

Carmel Raz carmel.raz at columbia.edu
Thu Oct 26 11:53:38 PDT 2017

Dear Group Members,

We are delighted to share with you some of the History of Theory events
taking place at the upcoming meeting of the SMT. It's an exciting roster of
events, and we hope you can join us for any or all.

1.     The annual *SMT* *Interest Group meeting will take place at SMT on
Friday, Nov. 3 from 5:15-7:15pm in Studio E*. We are pleased to feature
Prof. Peter Schubert (McGill) with the following presentation:

“One will easily understand later…”: Reading Musical Examples in Treatises

While teachers and authors in the Renaissance were sometimes reluctant to
share all their secrets in their prose, they often hid important messages
in their musical examples. Some of these can change the way we think about
the authors, and, more importantly, about the music they addressed. I will
show instances that have gone overlooked from treatises by Thomas Morley,
Gioseffo Zarlino, Francisco de Montanos, and Pietro Cerone.

 Prof. Schubert's talk will be followed by our usual business meeting.

2.     Also of interest to members of this group: the SMT Thursday evening
session on "History of Theory" chaired by Thomas Christensen (featuring
talks by Caleb Mutch, André Redwood, Derek Remeš, and Deborah Burton) and
the Sunday morning session on "Foundational Concepts in the Nineteenth
Century" chaired by Brian Hyer (featuring talks by Miriam Piilonen and
Matthew Boyle).

3.     Finally, our pre-AMS conference, "Instruments of Music Theory,"
features ten papers, three keynotes, and one concert. *If you are planning
on attending but have not yet registered, please do so by Oct. 31.* (Late
registrants will still be welcome to attend the paper panels and keynotes,
but we may not be able to accommodate them for the reception). The program
and registration are available at:
https://instrumentsofmusictheoryconference.wordpress.com/

Best regards,

Carmel and Roger

--
Carmel Raz
Postdoctoral Fellow, Society of Fellows in the Humanities
carmel.raz at columbia.edu