[Historyoftheory] HoT S/IG at the Upcoming AMS/SMT virtual conference

Raz, Carmel carmel.raz at ae.mpg.de
Fri Nov 6 14:03:35 PST 2020

Dear All,

At the upcoming AMS/SMT virtual conference, the History of Theory Study/Interest Groups of the AMS/STM are excited to host a joint roundtable discussion of the think piece "Can the History of Theory Be Decentered?<https://historyofmusictheory.wordpress.com/2020/04/03/can-the-history-of-theory-be-decentered-part-i-prequel-five-classics/>" by Alex Rehding<http://music.fas.harvard.edu/people.shtml#rehding> (Harvard University), which was published earlier this year on our History of Music Theory Blog<https://historyofmusictheory.wordpress.com/blog/>). Join us at 1:00 pm (CST) on Sunday, November 8, (on the SMT platform<https://guide.societymusictheory.org/sessions/nov8/midday/history-of-theory-ig>). We're delighted to welcome as respondents for the session Stephanie Probst<https://sound-matter.com/about/dr-stephanie-probst/> (Sound and Materialism in the 19th century, University of Cambridge), Katherine Schofield<https://www.kcl.ac.uk/people/dr-katherine-butler-schofield> (King's College London), and Olivia Bloechl<https://www.music.pitt.edu/faculty/bloechl> (University of Pittsburgh). The session will be moderated by Andrew Hicks<https://music.cornell.edu/andrew-hicks> (Cornell University)

Participants are kindly requested to read Alex's (five-part) post in advance.

On Saturday, Nov. 14, 6:00 (CST) -- on the AMS platform, but open to both AMS and SMT registrants -- we are holding a business meeting to discuss future activities. The first half hour is reserved for the current, outgoing, and incoming leadership team; at 6:30 all group members (or prospective group members) are welcome to join an open discussion.

Carmel Raz
Research Group Leader, "Histories of Music, Mind and Body"
Max-Planck-Institut für empirische Ästhetik
Grüneburgweg 14  60322 Frankfurt
www.carmelraz.com