[SMT-PAIG] Annual Meeting

Liszts at trichord.net Liszts at trichord.net
Thu Jan 14 17:28:08 PST 2021

Dear PAIG,

Congrats on a very stimulating and successful meeting!

I’m Zoom-naive (not native!) so was not able to type and listen at the same time, but I had a small thought to add about the Beethoven op31/2/iii “syncopation” example (a-minor episode): Indeed this seems to demonstrate Riemann’s point that such a passage expresses its own new meter (but perhaps not 3/8=>2/8 but 3/8=>2/4, beginning with an upbeat — sfz — to the first notated-barline downbeat, which initiates three 2/4 aural-bars in the notated time of four 3/8 notated-bars?), but interestingly it ends with a syncopation within the aural 2/4 — also over a notated barline — which then is extended (one 8th), “magically”, into a release back into 3/8. Were we “hearing” the 3/8 all along — or at least the expectation of another 4-bar grouping in 3/8 — such that the syncopated release into 3/8 is not yet another metric jolt but a true return to the original flow?

Sorry if the above is not quite coherent — I’m describing this from memory (in the spirit of quasi-real-time conversation!)…

All the best,
Gerry

Gerald Zaritzky
Music Theory Faculty (retired)