[SMT-PAIG] CFP: SMT Performance and Analysis Interest Group 2022 Meeting

Nathan C Pell npell at gradcenter.cuny.edu
Thu Jul 28 13:15:28 PDT 2022

Dear PAIG Members,

Below is the CFP for our upcoming meeting-please consider submitting!

All best,

Nathan Pell and Daniel Ketter

SMT PAIG Co-Chairs

*            *            *

The SMT Performance and Analysis Interest Group (PAIG) invites proposals for 13-minute lightning talks at its upcoming meeting during the 2022 Society for Music Theory conference in New Orleans, Louisiana (November 10-13).  We will make efforts to livestream the session online for those not attending in person.

Proposed talks may address any aspect of the relation between music performance and music theory/analysis.  Authors should make the performance-analysis connection explicit:  the program committee will reject proposals where it is not.  Proposals should also reflect the presentation's feasibility as a lightning talk and its incorporation of recorded or live music.  We welcome collaborations between scholars and performers.  And we especially encourage authors to focus on non-white, non-male musicians and to confront or decenter harmful theoretical framings.  Authors may submit only one proposal for consideration, and proposals will be reviewed anonymously.

To submit a proposal, please do the following by Friday, September 2, 2022:

--Prepare a PDF file that includes (1) a title, (2) a proposal of up to 500 words, and (3) up to 2 pages of examples and/or bibliography.  The entire document (including filename and metadata) should be anonymized, with self-references in the third person.
--Email that file to smtpaig (at) gmail.com using the subject line "2022 PAIG Proposal."  In the body of the email, please identify the author(s) of the proposal.
--Our conference room will have a standard AV set-up and a piano.  If your presentation requires any special equipment beyond this, please describe it in the body of the email.  Because of PAIG's budgetary constraints, you would likely have to make such arrangements yourself.

In submitting a proposal, you agree to the following if your proposal is accepted:

--To register for and attend (perhaps virtually, depending on circumstances) the upcoming SMT conference (November 10-13, 2022 in New Orleans, Louisiana).
--To provide PAIG with a short (500-750 word) "teaser" post for the PAIG Blog<https://smtpaig.wordpress.com/> by October 15, to be written in a reasonably non-technical and accessible style.  This could simply adapt your proposal or could be a newly composed text.  PAIG blog staff will assist those unfamiliar with the medium.  We will use this blog post to promote our meeting and to give PAIG members the opportunity to engage with your ideas or listen to recordings in advance of the session.

The 2022 PAIG Program Committee:
Varun Chandrasekhar (Washington University in St. Louis)
Daniel Ketter, PAIG Co-Chair (Missouri State University, ex officio)
Nathan Pell, PAIG Co-Chair (The Graduate Center, CUNY, ex officio)
James Sullivan (Michigan State University)