[SMT-PAIG] Email List Update & Humanities Commons

Nathan C Pell npell at gradcenter.cuny.edu
Mon Apr 17 11:03:10 PDT 2023

Dear Dan,

First message of a few!  Sorry for the long delay.

This is just a transcription of the sign-in sheet from the 2022 NOLA meeting.  This is not everyone who was in attendance (we have video evidence!), but it's better than nothing.  What we will do with this list is pending (see below), but now it's in digital format and I'm recycling the physical sign-in sheet.

Separate issue No. 1:  I do not, to my knowledge, have analogous lists from the three Zoom years.  (The last meeting for which we updated the listserv to reflect attendance was, I think, 2019 but I need to go digging through my email to see what lists we have from when.)  We said during the pandemic meetings that we would gather attendance from the Zoom logs.  I don't know whether any of us grabbed those logs.  Since the meetings were digital, that data surely existed at one point.  I don't know whether it still does (maybe some digging will reveal it easily).  At any rate, we can at least add our several lightning talk presenters from those years to our listserv.
Separate Issue No. 2:  According to the bylaws, the group is defined by its membership and the membership is defined, practically, by whoever signs the attendance sheet at our annual meetings.  This attendance sheet populates our listserv; and though people do ask to be added to the listserv who weren't at the meetings, this is rare and the main entry route to the group (i.e., the listserv) is the sign-in sheet.  The problem on our immediate horizon-and this is a concern as we draft new bylaws-is that SMT will end its tech support for its listservs soon and switch to Humanities Commons.  How familiar are you with HC again?  I have perused it but have yet to figure out how an interest group would operate in it.  We have the advantage of a relatively (compared to other groups) active web presence without HC, but maybe HC can serve to tie our group together, facilitate projects (I'd mentioned some standing committees that could be worth trying, esp. bibliography, pedagogy, outreach).  But we can kick this can slightly down the road.  The question we should come up with an immediate answer to is:  How exactly will we replace the listserv with Humanities Commons as a constitutional means of constituting the IG?  I might answer my own question with a little HC digging if I have time later this afternoon after the other tasks.

More soon!  All best,
Nathan

Barak Schossberger, barakshoss at gmail.com<mailto:barakshoss at gmail.com>
David Keep, davidakeep at gmail.com<mailto:davidakeep at gmail.com>