[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

dec2101 at columbia.edu dec2101 at columbia.edu
Sat Apr 4 11:32:09 PDT 2009

Dear Ildar,

In your recent post (below) you wrote:

"A product of real musical intuition is the sense of tension and
resolution. Musicians started talking about it in the 6th century
B.C. Diaphona, synphona, ho tonos, dynameis,--these are the terms of
western music theory of 25 centuries ago."

There is, however, no evidence that any of these was conceptualized in
terms of "tension and resolution."

"Diaphonia" and "symphonia" (equivalent, more or less, to our
"dissonance" and "consonance") were usually explained in terms of
thelack or presence of blend and "unity" between two pitches.
("Diaphonia" means "sounding apart"; "symphonia," "sounding with"; our
English terms come from the literal Latin translations of these,
"dissonantia" and "consonantia," introduced probably by Boethius.
Adjectival forms of all four words are often found as well, e.g.,
"diaphona" and "symphona" [though not, of course, "synphona"], and in
Latin "dissona" and "consona.")

"Tonos," indeed, alludes to "tension," since it derives from "teino,"
"to stretch, tighten" but the allusion is simply to the action of
tightening a string to raise its pitch. In ancient Greek
music-theoretical parlance, "tonos" normally denotes either (1) the
interval of the whole tone (usually defined as the "difference"
between a P5th and a P4th, and/or in terms of its ratio, 9:8), or (2)
one of the "tonoi," which for most ancient writers seem to be simply
transposition levels of the complete background scale system (the
"greater perfect system"); hence the oblique reference to "tension,"
i.e., pitch. (Ptolemy, though, understands the "tonoi" in a way that
makes the allusion to pitch level irrelevant.) See also Aristoxenus's
discussion of pitch and changes of pitch in _Elementa harmonica_, Bk.
I, sections 10-13 (trans. Andrew Barker, _Greek Musical Writers_, vol.
2, pp. 133-35): although he's thinking primarily of the singing voice,
all his vocabulary concerning pitch alludes linguistically to
"tension" ("tasis," also derived, like "tonos," from "teino"); "tasis"
in fact is the word that actually denotes "pitch," per se, for him.

Finally, "dynamis," meaning basically "power" or "capacity/ability" to
*do* something, is a term introduced into Harmonics by Aristoxenus
(almost certainly borrowed from his teacher Aristotle, for whom it is
a basic concept of his metaphysics, opposed to
"energeia"/"entelecheia"). It's usually translated as "function" in
English versions or discussions of Aristoxenus, but the precise sense
that he intended has always been obscure. (But see the interpretation
by Andrew Barker in his recent book, _The Science of Harmonics in
Classical Greece_ [2007], pp. 183-92, which I think goes a long way
toward answering this question.)

Best,

-David
David E. Cohen