[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 5 09:10:08 PDT 2009

Dear David,

thank you very much for your suggestion to read the books. I hope that you understand that the book you have suggested is an interpretation of events of the past and not the required literature for an UG student. I happen to be able to read Aristoxenus in the  original language. There were other translations and intepretations into other languages which I find very interesting and helpful. I would suggest that you read them too.

As for the terms, could you elaborate what do you mean by "blending," and how it is different from my interpretation of synphona and diaphona? Was there any relationship between these two groups? If yes, was it related to the concept of harmonia? What is harmonia? I keep hearing recently that harmony is a "vertical structure." Then, I assume that counterpoint is defined as a "linear structure." Both are wrong! Harmony, a universal signifier of music, cannot be explained by visual metaphors of verticality and horizonatlity. Harmony is the relationship of  the opposites. It can be the relationship between darkness and light, but also between the wasp and the orchid, or even the car and the traffic light. In music it is diaphona and symphona.

Latin translations and later English translations present the problem and it is not only the problem of musical terminology. All terms, including Being and Nature, were translated into Latin from Greek with great loss of meaning. There is much written on this topic  by Heidegger. For example, the Greek preposition dia- does not mean the same thing as Latin diss-. The fact that we are having a dialogue on the list is a clear proof of it.

Today, we can only reconstruct the meanings of Greek terms and the intentions of Greek authors by deconstructing our prevalent views and formulations. We've changed and in need of developing a different organ to see the past events. When I read in Aristoxenus that all intervals smaller than the diatessaron are diaphona, I ask myself, what does this mean? And what can be gained by reaching the diatessaron after passing through the smaller intervals? How this can be translated into a more modern language? Is not this a clear case of tension and resolution? Of polemon ending with synousia? When the voice passes through ho tonos, we do not control two "pitches" simultaneaously. We are taken off guard by the power of melodic motion. We are moving through (dia) something which does not have the beginning and the end.. In this case, even "the path up and the path down are the same." Only when we reach the diatessaron, the skies are cleared and we start seeing
 the horizon. This is the junction, connection (syn-) of the begining and the end of our travel, and the resting point "Ruhepunkt." The quantity of motion turned into a new quality.
  In general, we should see the forest behind the trees: harmony in Greek understanding(s) means the opposition of Chaos and Cosmos, the reconciliation of the irreconcilables. Music since Greeks has been always operating with this definition of harmony. It has been realized in different ways, but it was present at all times. Not to see this evidence is strange, to say the least!

The idea that tonoi are the "transposition levels of complete background scale system" seems too revisionist to me. For imagining that, a Greek theorist must have had an idea of pitch collection, pitch class, transposition levels, background structure, etc. Try to translate these terms back into ancient Greek language! And by the way, try to translate the word "pitch" into any modern language. I have tried to translate it in into Russian, my native language, and I am at loss. There is such a degree of polysemy and such a rich folkloric etymology that it is very difficult to operate with this word on a reflective  terminological level.  Systhema teleion (magnon ou pyknon) is the greatest achievement of Greek theory. It is a result of a purely theoretical effort to see the invisible (Platonic idea). It is obvious that early in Greek music history only shorter melodic patterns were used and they were limited to small number of notes (mostly four).
 The similar layers of folk music elsewhere have similar oligotonic character. IN Greek theory, the two genuine melodic patterns were either connected (synemmenon) or placed next to each other (diezeugmenon). The functional complexity of this system does not allow to treat it as a "collection" or a "set." Music is open for higher levels of abstraction (since it has been introduced in the West together with theory and philosophy), but harmony seems to remain an ultimate irreducible prerequisite. Collection and set are exactly the mathermatical tools which are intended for disregarding functional differentiation of the elements. Sets are internally a-systematic. In mathematics itsels, the category of set is used selectively. (See the reaction of Poincare to Georg Cantor's idea of transfinite sets). Schenker himself would take my side: for him a group of notes could not be a "set" of "collection" and harmonic prerequisite would never be negleted.

 Dynameis  (FUNCTION!) creates a problem. Should we, then, lable it as "obscure"?

In general, I suggest  reconsidering our approach to history of music theory. It is not something that we can "criticize" at present. It is like a 25-centuries-old cathedral. I suggest walking inside in soft shoes  and enjoying the beauty of harmony.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com