[Smt-talk] Symphonia, etc.

dec2101 at columbia.edu dec2101 at columbia.edu
Sun Apr 5 13:16:23 PDT 2009

Dear Ildar (and anyone else interested),

I do indeed understand your point re. interpretation; I cite Barker
because his interpretations are exceptionally insightful, in my view
and in the view of others knowledgeable about ancient Greek theory.
And, as it happens, I have some knowledge of Greek, as well.

"Blend" translates "krasis" (from "kerannumi"); the word is often used
to characterize the result of mixing wine with water or honey. It's
also used in grammar, to denote contractions like "thanropou" (from
"tou anthropou").

The Euclidean _Sectio canonis_ includes the following passage, which
although not strictly speaking a definition of "symphonia," is
nonetheless clear as to the present point:

"We also recognize that some [combinations of] notes (pthongous) are
symphonic (symph?nous), others diaphonic (diaph?nous), the symphonic
making a single blend (mian krasin) out of the two, while the
diaphonic do not" (_Sectio canonis_, Introduction; ed. Jan, _Musici
Scriptores Graeci_, 149:17-20; new edn. by Andre Barbera, _The
Euclidean Division of the Canon: Greek and Latin Sources_ [Univ. of
Nebraska Pr., 1991], at 116:6-8; cf. Barker, _Greek Musical Writings_,
II, 193; also, on "krasis" as opposed to "mixis" or "migma," see
Thomas J. Mathiesen, "Euclid's Division of a Monochord," JMT 1975, p.
254, note. 13).

(See also Cleonides, Eisagoge, 5 (ed. Jan, _MSG_, 187:19ff; trans. in
Strunk/Treitler, _Source Readings_, 39; Bacchius, Eisagoge, 1 (Jan
293:8ff.), trans. Otto Steinmayer, ?Bachius Geron?s Introduction to
the Art of Music,? JMT 29 (1985): 271-298, p. 274 (cf. also ibid, p.
286 with n. 16); Gaudentius, Eisagoge, 8 (Jan 337:8ff).

The idea that _symphonia_ consists in a "blend" of two pitches also
recurs prominently in most of the definitions of "consonantia" in
Boethius, _De institutione musica_, e.g., this one from I.28:

"For whenever two strings, one being lower [in pitch than the other],
are stretched and, having been struck at the same time, produce a
sound that is, in a certain way, mixed and sweet, and the two pitches
blend as if conjoined into one (in unum quasi coniunctae), then there
comes to be that which is called consonance" ("Quotiens enim duo nervi
uno graviore intenduntur simulque pulsi reddunt permixtum quodammodo
et suavem sonum, duaeque voces in unum quasi coniunctae coalescunt;
tunc fit ea quae dicitur consonantia") (_De inst. mus._, I.28;
Friedlein, 220:3-7; cf. also the translation by Bower, _Fundamentals
of Music_, p. 47).

(See also _De inst. mus._, I.8, IV.1, and V.7. Boethius asserts the
synonymity of "symphonia" with "consonantia" in _De institutione
arithmetica_, II.48, ed. Friedlein, 155:14-15).

The notion that the sound resulting from this "blend" is unified
("one" sound), is the leading idea of the first of Boethius's various
definitions of consonance, at the end of _De Inst. mus._, I.3:

"Consonance (consonantia) ... is the unified harmony (in unum redacta
concordia) of notes different from each other" ("Est enim consonantia
dissimilium inter se vocum in unum redacta concordia") (_De inst.
mus., I.3; ed. Friedlein, 191:3-4; cf. Bower, _Fundamentals of Music_,
p. 12).

This last-quoted passage also alludes (obliquely) to the concept of
_harmonia_ (expressed here with the Latin word "concordia"), which you
also brought up. The basic understanding of _harmonia_ in antiquity
seems to have been that expressed in a fragment of Philolaos:

"_Harmonia_ comes to be in all respects out of opposites: for
_harmonia_ is a unification [henosis] of things multiply mixed, and an
agreement of things that disagree" (quoted in Nicomachus, _Eisogoge
arithmetike_, II.19, p. 115:2; also in Diels & Kranz, _Fragmente der
Vorsokratiker_, #44 B 10; trans. Barker, _GMW_ II, p. 38).

This is not the place for a serious discussion of the questions and
issues you raise. Let me just note instead that there are indeed
knotty and interesting problems of interpretation connected with all
these concepts and their relations to each other, and suggest that you
have a look at the following studies:

Thomas Mathiesen, "Problems in Ancient Greek Terminology: _HAPMONIA_,"
in _Festival Essays for Pauline Aldermine_, ed. Burton L. Karson
(Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University Press, 1976): 3-18.

David E. Cohen, "Metaphysics, Ideology, Discipline: Consonance,
Dissonance, and the Foundations of Western Polyphony," _Theoria_ 7
(1993): 1-86. And for fuller discussion of many of these points, my
dissertation, "Boethius and the Enchiriadis Theory: The Metaphysics of
Consonance and the Concept of Organum" (Ph.D. diss., Brandeis
University, 1993).

Best,

-David
David E. Cohen