[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 15:36:27 PDT 2009

Dear Fred,

thank you very much for your links and input into this discussion. You have mentioned that the studies oftonal  tension cover music from Bach to Messiaen. I can argue that tension/relaxation can be applied also to earlier and later periods. I have heard many times from my colleauges that tension/relaxation model applies mostly to 19th century music and it does not rise up to the level of Schenkerian abstraction. Or, some say that there was no harmony in the 18th-century music, let alone in the 17th and earlier centuries. What do you think about my idea that tension/relaxation as a category directly relates to harmony in a wider sense and assuch it is universal  and can be attributed to Greek music as well as Bach and Messiaen?

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory