[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Thomas Noll noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Sun Apr 12 08:43:00 PDT 2009

Dear Nicolas,
many thanks for you reply. I think I did too many things at the same
time in my posting and I got several point wrong. It would be good to
disentangle some points.
With my clumsy paraphrase of a binary "dominant-of" relation I tried
to silently circumnavigate a possible source of misunderstanding [in
particular for mathematicians like me] in the connection of the terms
"relation" and "transitive". Obviously you did not(!) mean
"transitive relation" in the mathematical sense: If X -> Y and Y ->
Z, then also X -> Z (with -> denoting the dominant vector as a
relation). But I still thought that you mean something in this
direction. That was the condition I (again wrongly) had in mind::
To every chord Y which is in dominant relation X -> Y to a chord X,
there exists a chord Z which is in dominant relation Y-> Z to Y.
In that case the mathematicians would say that the underlying
directed graph is connected. This is very close, however, to another
meaning of "transitive" in mathematics, namely to "transitive group
action". David Lewin's GMIT is mainly about musical applications of
such actions. In other words: I believed that you aim to explain
secondary dominants as concatenations of dominant vectors.
[i.e. something like this: If we treat the dominant vector as a
"generalized musical interval" we may construct higher order vectors,
such as a secondary dominant X ->-> Y, tertiary dominant X ->->-> Y
and so fourth. With these vectors we may calculate concatenations ->
+ -> = ->->. -> + <- = ø. So we obtain a group of intervals, ..., <-<-
<-<-, <-<-<-, <-<-, <-, ø, ->, ->->, ->->->, ->->->->, ...
The concept of transitivity, which I try to project onto your
approach can be expressed by this condition: To every pair of roots X
and Y there is exactly one vector v = ->->...-> such that  X v Y.]

But reading again more closely what you said, I understand that in
your understanding secondary dominants involve secondary tonics.
Thus the above construction is insufficient for this and I will need
to think about that again. However I'm left with this intermediate
question: From your analytical applications I tend to infer that the
dominant vector is a relation between roots rather than chords. Is
this correct? Your explanation of the term transitivity involves
aspects of voice leading and therefore I'm not sure.
With best wishes
Thomas

Thomas Noll
http://flp.cs.tu-berlin.de/~noll
noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Escola Superior de Musica de Catalunya, Barcelona
Departament de Teoria i Composició
Tel (priv.):   +34 93 268 75 19
Tel (mobil): +34 66 368 12 02