[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 16 20:46:32 PDT 2009

Dear Fred, Dmitri and all,

this is truly fascinating:

"As to a I or V chord, my unexceptional view is that while naming things can improve performance, the main mental action is unconscious. To take a well-studied area, the computations behind the construction of a visual field are incredibly complex and largely opaque to consciousness. The same is true of auditory scene analysis (see Bregman's book of that name) and, still more so, of music perception.

Unconscious music processing does not include the label "V chord." Rather, the experience is of a certain sensory quality combined with a state of tension and expectation."

I have a question to Fred:
How to study this field, which instruments can be used here? From what I have read I understand that current techniques mostly involve statistic analysis of experiments with large numbers of listeners (often UG students). Can we come up with some tools which visualize tension and relaxation? My mother, a doctor psychiartist,  and I are going to present our own studies of musical emotions at the conference in UK next fall. We understand emotion as e-motion. This can be linked to tension and relaxation. We have been using  equipment based on Kirlian effect (Gas Discharge Visualisation). Would this be helpful in the study of unconscious music processing?

Theory of tonal-harmonic function relied heavily on intuitive knowledge. I am very excited to see that cognitive science is going to explicate this knowledge.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov, Ph.D.
Peabody Conservatory
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com