[Smt-talk] rationalizing the octenary system

David Clampitt david.clampitt51 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 06:54:12 PDT 2009

Hello Eytan,

The response by Nicolas seems mostly correct to me, with its emphasis on the
tetrachordal conception. I look forward to reading his paper. As he points
out, your question seems to assume that *socialitas* is the property a final
has of possessing perfect fifth above it, but *quinta semper loca his
singulis quatuor superiora, quadam sibi * *conexionis unione iunguntur* and
what follows says that this “bond of connection” as Nicolas renders it, or
even more, “bond of similarity” as you have it, probably following Babb, is
a stronger link, allowing melodies to “unfold in the same mode or trope” at
either location. So *socialitas* is a precursor of Guido’s *affinitas*,
which requires a similar environment above and below the alternative finals,
at a minimum the same intervallic neighbors. This would justify passing over
A and C, which do not enjoy *affinitas*. (I'm simplifying here, since for
Guido, neither did G, but we could also follow Hermannus, who is more
consistent.) To put it positively from a more modern point of view, A and C
do enjoy what I’ve called double neighbor polarity, where *final* and
perfect fifth above are surrounded by different intervallic neighbors. This
may indeed be *a posteriori* reasoning, and as Nicolas suggests, Hucbald
passes over A B C because he needs them below the finals for the plagal
modes.

David Clampitt

School of Music

The Ohio State University