[Smt-talk] rationalizing the octenary system

Eytan Agmon agmonz at 012.net.il
Fri Apr 17 07:37:52 PDT 2009

Hello David,

If the existence of a perfect fifth above the upper and lower neighbors of the final is considered an important property, then the existence of a perfect fifth above the final itself is all the more so. It follows that if Guido’s affinitas indeed “requires a similar environment above and below the alternative finals, at a minimum the same intervallic neighbors” (emphasis added), then we have a modal hierarchy where modes on D-G are a subset of modes on C-A. Modes on C-A are conceptually prior, in exactly the same way that the final is conceptually prior to its neighbors.

Best,

Eytan