[Smt-talk] rationalizing the octenary system

David Clampitt david.clampitt51 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 08:54:35 PDT 2009

Hello Eytan,

Agreed. B is out of the running on these grounds. And I think Hucbald
is clear that B is not to be assigned at the end of the chant, but it
can be to the beginning--perhaps this is the sense in which Nicolas
understands that no note as such is excluded as final. If you read on
p. 202 of Chartier's edition and on p. 39 of Babb and Palisca, he
writes (after Babb): "These [beginnings and endings] are:
proslambanomenos [A] to the lichanos hypaton [D]; hypate hypaton [B]
to the hypate meson [E], but this is rare; parhypate hypaton [C] to
the parhypate meson [F]; ..." So A, B, and C are finals, albeit
alternative ones. But in the conception I set forth, which follows the
later Hermannus's rule: "Take any tetrachord you wish, add a tone at
both ends, you then have the limits of the tonal patterns which form
the basis for the modes [sedes troporum]." Ellinwood's translation.

So, I mostly agree with your statement: "then we have a modal
hierarchy where modes on D-G are a subset of  modes on C-A. Modes on
C-A are conceptually prior, in exactly the same way that the final is
conceptually prior to its neighbors." It is clear that B cannot be
principalis, in Hucbald's terms, because it can't form the authentic
form.

David

David Clampitt
School of Music