[Smt-talk] Perahia and Schenker

Scott Spiegelberg spiegelberg at depauw.edu
Wed Apr 22 05:43:18 PDT 2009

Devotion wouldn't be the right word, but Jeremy Denk certainly knows
his Schenkerian theory and is able to express his thoughts about music
most eloquently.  And Jeremy has achieved the stature, well-deserved
with his wonderful performances of the Hammerklavier and Concord
sonatas.  He is also infamous as the "interviewer" of Sarah Palin on
her views about Beethoven.  Jeremy does feel that systematic theories
can be too confining, and at one point wrote:

"I was intending to write about the opening of the Mozart Wind
Quintet, which I played at Marlboro... and I got stopped by a
metaphor. "Opening" means "beginning;" in this case I am using a
synonym (constant, careless expedient of writing) to refer to the
piece's slow, magnificent introduction. But: "opening" like the
opening/raising of the curtain at the beginning of an opera, of an
entertainment? I posit this equivalence of spatial (curtain going up)
and temporal (first moments of anything) without any hesitation; it is
an accepted currency exchange. But how is this moment of the piece
like other openings--like, say, the lifting of the lid of a box to see
what lies inside; or, the opening of a flower; or, to use a metaphor
given me by Anner Bylsma post-concert, the cracking open of a walnut?
In each case, something is revealed, which was initially concealed; we
have to "get at" the main thing, which is behind the opening (opening
as looking for a thing, opening as action, opening as layer/
obstruction which must be pulled aside). Again, these are spatial
constructions, seemingly separate from music, where tones dance in
their so-called abstract space: how can one moment in music be
"behind" another, in the way that the opera's set lies behind the
curtain? It would seem that every moment in music comes "after" the
previous (not behind)... in a row, in order... if we were to be
literal. But I think every listener feels at some point that some
moment in a piece is a core, a kernel, a revealed, lurking truth (it's
out of order, from another place). And I am speaking not just of goals
or climaxes, which are the obvious cores and kernels, but also the
secret, random, quiet moments, parenthetical turns of phrase from
which other things radiate (another spatial, physical metaphor).

Schenkerian analysis seems to address this spatial possibility of
music by proposing levels: background, middleground, foreground. Music
has deeper and more surface levels, like a cave! But the background in
the Schenker view is almost always the same, the deepest level is the
unfolding of a triad, of a single chord. It is true that very often
phrases seem to reveal harmonic frameworks; I will concede that this
may be, in fact, the purest, least metaphorical way of expressing what
phrases reveal (as they open, unfold, show). But I cannot resign
myself to that; for me this prioritization is too meticulous,
systematic. Sometimes, I think, phrases reveal quirks, they reveal not
the central thing but the detail; I have a more "literary" view of
these levels. Each phrase of music pulls back, opens, to reveal its
own rounding, its own completion... (or lack thereof) ... which may
happen with a flourish, or merely "by the way," or any number of ways.
A single word may outweigh the grammar of the whole."

He then goes on to explain what he means with examples from the Mozart
quintet: http://jeremydenk.blogspot.com/2005/08/curtains-for-mozart.html

Scott

--
Scott Spiegelberg, PhD