[Smt-talk] Theory of "Intercultural" Composition

matralab matralab at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 09:59:16 PDT 2009

Dear all who have answered on and offline - what an overwhelming and
positive response.

And there were indeed some suggestions about books that I did not know
existed.
As one respondent suggested, I will share my reading list either with the
smttalklist,
or, if that is against the list netiquette, I would post them on my academia
profile.
(http://concordia.academia.edu/SandeepBhagwati).

Thank you all again, and those who have sent me personal mails  - I will
respond asap.

One nugget of information:
I am on tour in Russia right now, and in discussions about this suject (and
composers like Faradzh Karaev or Franghis Ali-Zadeh etc.)  with musicologist
Fjodor Sofronov from Tchaikovsky Conservatorium Moscow he explained to me
that Soviet and Russian musicology have major problems dealing with any form
of interculturalism in contemporary composition, because interest in new
music is perceived as being equivalent with a liberal attitude that is
pro-western - already a difficult position in an increasingly nationalist
intellectual environment. To compound that with the, as he said, "official,
but unfulfilled" multiculturalism of Russia, also a hot seat issue, would be
too much to take on - and so Russian musicology, despite the fact that it
got off to a good start with Asafiev's Intonation theory, did not look at
this subject much over the past 80 years. Does any one have any corrections
or comments to this statement ? Does anyone know of important Russian
theories of multicultural composition...?

Best yours
Sandeep