[Smt-talk] Theory of "Intercultural" Composition

Locke, Ralph rlocke at esm.rochester.edu
Wed Apr 22 13:36:14 PDT 2009

Thanks to Nigel Morgan for his informative reply to the question about intercultural composition.

Since he replied to the whole list, I thought I might now share a slightly tweaked version of the reply that I sent earlier today to Sandeep Bhagwati.

===
Dear Sandeep Bhagwati:

I was intrigued to see your email.

I have a book coming out in May from Cambridge Univ. Press.  It's already available in the UK.

   _Musical Exoticism: Images and Reflections_

Details at: http://www.cambridge.org/us/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521877930

In Chapters 9 and 10, I deal with music since 1900 and make various distinctions between, for example, exoticism as such and "transcultural composing" (which is roughly my equivalent of interkulturelles Komponieren).  You'll find many bibliographical citations in there as well.  I discuss numerous composers, some briefly (Alan Hovhaness, Isang Yun, Takemitsu) and others (Debussy, Reich, Tan Dun) in more detail.

I imagine you know the book edited by Everett and Lau?
====

Best to all!  I'm eager to see other replies regarding this important and immensely varied phenomenon.
Ralph Locke

Ralph P. Locke
Professor of Musicology
26 Gibbs St.