[Smt-talk] Theory of "Intercultural" Composition

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 27 08:55:49 PDT 2009

Dear Daniel,
a remarkable discourse on cultural diversity of music! Thank you!

Of course, that "we are solving it" is an exaggeration. However, inside Russian context, it is a positive trend to start noticing 200 representatives of the Other (there are 200 ethnic groups in RF).

And, as Victor Grauer mentioned in his posting, the West has to be redefined first, before mixing it with the rest of the global world. From the theory paths on this list, I have discovered that although everybody seems to agree that "Viennese" theory rules, most of the concepts (cadence, conterpoint, harmony, chord, dissonance, motive, tonality, etc.) come from Italian and French treatises, from Tartini, Padre Martini, Zarlino, Rameau. Is not this strange?

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com