[Smt-talk] I - II - IV

Eric Knechtges eric.t.knechtges at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 14:27:40 PDT 2009

I'd be curious as to what you find on this, since it's so common in
popular music.  (David Baerwald's "Come What May", Beatles'
"Yesterday", ABBA's "Dancing Queen" (although that one is arguably a
delayed resolution)... there are literally hundreds of others.)  I've
also wondered whether to properly call this II or a deceptive
resolution of V/V -- I guess it depends on the system.

Kalinnikov's Second Symphony, Movement II, opens with a series of open
fifths that imply a progression that includes this motion.  When this
theme gets expanded in the finale, it becomes I - II7 - iv - I.  I'm
wondering if, in this case and the others, the "II" wouldn't more
properly be viewed as a "chromatic appoggiatura" of sorts to the IV or
iv.

Eric Knechtges, DM
Assistant Professor of Theory/Composition, Northern Kentucky University