[Smt-talk] I-II-IV as a progression

jcovach jcovach at mail.rochester.edu
Mon Aug 31 17:13:09 PDT 2009

I'm guessing you mean the Donovan clip from The Smothers Brothers Show.  Donovan
plays the song in C, but has the guitar tuned down a step, and then uses a capo
on the second fret to compensate.  Some folk singers tuned the guitar down a
step to reduce tension on the top, especially on 12 string guitars.  When you do
this, it's also possible and easy to lower the key of a song if you need to,
without changing the guitar voicings.  So if your voice is tired, just pull the
capo down to the first fret or take it off completely--no transposing required.

One advantage to the Fmaj he plays is that it does not require the first finger
to barre the first and second strings: it's thus easier to play and sounds
pretty too. The use of the IV7 pretty much kills the chromatic descent, though.

BTW, what DID happen to Atlantis?

"Stay with Me" is a fine example of the use of this progression in a 1950s,
Chuck Berry rock-n-roll context.  Great tune.

John Covach