[Smt-talk] I - II- IV as a progression

David H Smyth dsmyth at lsu.edu
Sun Aug 30 06:04:52 PDT 2009

Dear Listers,

Possibly the best known example of I-II (=V/V)-IV occurs at the end of "Yesterday."  The aforementioned chromatic descent from scale degree five (to three) occurs in an inner voice here, but nicely highlights the enigmatic melodic ending on three.

I too am curious about "classical" precedents for this.  Since one fairly common deceptive resolution of V is to IV6, there must be many examples of V/V resolving directly to I6, though none jumps to mind at the moment.

Best,
David Smyth
Lousiana State University
dsmyth at lsu.edu