[Smt-talk] I - II- IV as a progression

John Snyder jlsnyder at uh.edu
Sun Aug 30 15:18:53 PDT 2009

David H Smyth wrote:

 > I too am curious about "classical" precedents for this.  Since one
 > fairly common deceptive resolution of V is to IV6, there must be many
 > examples of V/V resolving directly to I6, though none jumps to mind at
 > the moment.

For V7/V resolving to I6 (i6), see the opening of Brahms's Fourth,
mvt. IV: iv6 - iiº6 - i - iv6 - V7/V - i6 - V(7b5)5/3 - I. I
take this as an instance of Brahms using first-inversion tonic where
we might have expected the cadential 6/4 (others have noted his
predilection for this), though the the altered V4/3 would follow
the cadential 6/4 very well. I would expect relatively many such
instances in Brahms's oeuvre.

Best,

John Snyder

--