[Smt-talk] I-II-IV as a progression

Steven Rosenhaus srosenhaus at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 30 17:53:25 PDT 2009

I too agree that the I-II-IV is "indigenous to rock." "Atlantis" does
this, as does (I recall) "Eight Days a Week" and several other Beatles
songs. In fact, I think it's one of Paul McCartney's personal cliches.

What I find interesting is the pyschological effect the progression
has, on me at least. The II almost always strikes me as V/V--which is
a predictable response--but what happens next is that the IV sounds
(to me, I must emphasize) not as a set up for plagal candence but
rather as an extended V chord (V 11) missing the root. In other words,
I hear it as functioning as a V in a weird but real way.

Does anyone else hear it this way?

Steven Rosenhaus

Dr. Steven L. Rosenhaus
E-mail: srosenhaus at earthlink.net

Other:
http://www.capstonerecords.org/CPS-8716.html
http://www.capstonerecords.org/CPS-8616.html
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lauraleon
Link to "Writing Musical Theater" by Allen Cohen and Steven L.
Rosenhaus:
http://www.palgrave-usa.com/catalog/product.aspx?isbn=1403963959&printer=yes&