[Smt-talk] I-II-IV as a progression

Dave Headlam dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu
Sun Aug 30 20:23:57 PDT 2009

Hi all (as I was writing this Nicole's post came on which I agree with):

Playing guitar "in the box" (such as A-B-D-E) -- by rock guys or gals --
provides for many motions of bass 1-2-4-5, whether or not under I-II-IV-V,
and/or other SDs and in complete or incomplete forms:   for instance, in
Zep's "Living Loving Maid "  (bVII-I-bIII from G-A-C) (cf. B section of
"Sunshine of your Love":  A-C-G as (V-bVII-IV of D),  Beatles "Back in the
USSR"  partial box (G)-A-C-D as I-bIII-IV (which then goes to V), and/or as
in Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Cold Shot" ( box G-A-C-D ) as b7 - 1 - b3 - 4
(I-bVII-ii-I   A- G- A - (D-F#-B)- (C-E-A) maybe the way SR plays it on the
top four strings, he's also down a half-step).  Also Pink Floyd's lick
G-A-B-D-E and chords (G) C D Am G D C Am G ((I)-IV-V- ii-I-V-IV-ii-I) in
"Wish you were here" fall into this category - - and Stormy Monday has the
best II chord action in a blues (Allman Bros version), it is thwarted in
it's desire to go to V by the power of IV . .  (or, as Steve hears it, II
makes a V out of IV). Or not.

The "box" 0257 predates rock, of course, as in I got Rhythm changes
(I-vi-ii-V) Bb-G-C-F in Bb, and A Train (I-ii-IV-V), C-D-G-C-  - F-D-G- C

So, lots of possibilities . . .

G-A-C-D  as I-ii-IV-V (G), ii-iii-V-vi (F), III-iv-vi-VII (e minor/E major),
IV-V-bVII-I (D), V-vi-I-ii  ( C), bVII-I-bIII-IV (Am).

DH - (back to class prep -- bummer, summer is over)

--

 Dave Headlam
 Professor of Music Theory

 Eastman School of Music