[Smt-talk] Music Plagiarism Cases

Bennighof, James James_Bennighof at baylor.edu
Mon Dec 21 09:44:56 PST 2009

Unfortunately, a stack of undone administrative work on my desk prevents me from spending much time contributing to this discussion, but, as I implied in my note about the Symposium article about the Bee Gees, there can be a lot of difference between something that might seem, if described to a lay person, very significant, and something that really is the same musical idea (even if the problem isn't the situation of licks common to styles).  For example, imagine one of Daniel's musicological guns, testifying on behalf of the prosecution, bowling the jury over with the information that 89% of the notes in the later melody are the same as those in same order-positions the earlier.  I bet everyone on this list can write two melodies (or take a well-known melody and write a new one) for which this would be true, but which would sound pretty much nothing like one another.  This may be obvious to everyone, but of course the interesting problem is figuring out how to explain to a jury what criteria really do determine significance (or under what circumstances the 89% match would be part of those criteria).

--Jim Bennighof
--
James Bennighof
Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Policy