[Smt-talk] Stravinsky, sonorities, and nomenclature

Richard Porterfield porterfr at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 17 11:00:35 PST 2009

Rebecca,

Try figured bass. This (not Rameau's chord roots!) would be the basis of Pergolesi's training, and something Stravinsky would certainly have had to consider on some level or another. In figured bass also some sonorities "cannot be explained by identifying them as some sort of triad." Figured-bass progressions, especially those that describe dissonances, are somewhat predictive: 6/4/2 is almost always followed by a 6/3 over the tone a step below, for example. Look at the progression of intervals (mod 7) over the bass; perhaps you will find Stravinsky made similar rules for himself.

Good luck,

Richard Porterfield

Instructor, Mannes College

Ph.D. candidate in Music Theory, CUNY GC

porterfr at hotmail.com