[Smt-talk] Sequences

Dmitri Tymoczko dmitri at Princeton.EDU
Thu Mar 5 15:13:08 PST 2009

> what do you mean by "harmonic terms" with respect to the orbifold
> approach (factorized voice-leading) you are working on?

Sorry, I suppose that was a bit too brisk.

In general, I think a lot of nineteenth-century chromatic practice
can be understood contrapuntally: composers exploit efficient voice
leading to move between tonally distant chords.  So, you see Schubert
exploiting the efficient voice leading among major-third related
triads to move from C major to E major, for example.  Or Wagner
exploits the efficient voice-leading among minor-third related
seventh chords to move from D half-diminished to B7.  Looking broadly
at nineteenth-century practice, I think you can make a case that many
of these unusual tonal moves are motivated by voice leading
relationships.

One piece of evidence for this is that there's a marked asymmetry
between triadic and seventh chord routines: triads are more likely to
move chromatically by major third and seventh chords are more likely
to move by minor third or tritone.  This reflects the underlying
voice-leading relations: C major is "closer" (in voice leading terms)
to E major than Eb major, but C7 is closer to Eb7 than E7.  You can
actually see this asymmetry in the statistics -- just count up all
the chromatic progressions in Mozart or Schubert.

In the case of our sequences, I think it's hard to make the case that
these minor-third progressions are motivated contrapuntally,
precisely because composers seem to avoid the most efficient
(stepwise, descending) voice leading in favor of ascending parallel
motion.  This makes it look like they're choosing the harmonic
destination, rather than it being an effect of voice-leading
relationships.  On the other hand, with "Hey Joe" perhaps it's the
descending voice leading that produces the unusual (ascending fifth)
root motion.

I'd never thought about trying to express this in terms of
orbifolds.  I suppose you could though: the contrapuntal approach,
roughly, involves thoughts like "I'm here at chord X; what chords are
nearby?"  The harmonic approach involves thoughts like: "I'm here at
X, and I want to go to Y, and distance isn't really a factor right now."

DT

Dmitri Tymoczko
Associate Professor of Music
310 Woolworth Center
Princeton, NJ 08544-1007
(609) 258-4255 (ph), (609) 258-6793 (fax)
http://music.princeton.edu/~dmitri