[Smt-talk] Sequences

karst de jong karstdj at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 5 14:04:57 PST 2009

Hello all,

I believe that this so called 'Waldstein sequence' is rooted in the
seventeenth century, when fifth-up and minor-third up (right) progressions
were more common. A beautiful example can be found in the theme of
Sweelinck's chromatic fantasia.

These progressions gradually dissapear in common practice harmony, where
descending fifths and minor-third down progressions seem to become the
norm.

Best,

Karst

KARST DE JONG
professor of Music Theory and Improvisation//
Royal Conservatoire of The Hague, The Netherlands
Escola Superior de Musica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain//
karstdj at xs4all.nl