[Smt-talk] Headlam on Orbifolds

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 13 12:38:50 PDT 2009

Dear Dmitri,

I am sorry for playing a devil's advocate for a moment. Of course, I appreciate your great work with geometry. It is just sometimes the topoloical aspect is overshadowed in your presentations by a simpler  principle of measurement by half-steps (which probably come from Neo-Riemannian understanding).

And I am ready to choose certain  metric from a number of others offered by topology. For example, I will decline your proposition that the E and Ab triads are the closest to C triad. In the metric of tonal-functional harmony, the G triad is the closest to C triad. You simply cannot fit any other triads in between in a meaningful progression. That is what I meant in my rather awkward critique,  that the geometry of note heads on the staff presents the metric which is drastically different from the one we use when playing and singing most of tonal music.

Best,

Ildar