[Smt-talk] Headlam on Orbifolds

Dmitri Tymoczko dmitri at Princeton.EDU
Fri Mar 13 15:12:50 PDT 2009

Ildar wrote:

> I am sorry for playing a devil's advocate for a moment. Of course,
> I appreciate your great work with geometry. It is just sometimes
> the topoloical aspect is overshadowed in your presentations by a
> simpler  principle of measurement by half-steps (which probably
> come from Neo-Riemannian understanding).

No need to apologize, and thanks for the kind words!

If I understand you, the "simpler principle" you refer to is just the
"taxicab" (or "smoothness") metric, which provides one of the
simplest ways to measure distance on orbifolds.  From this point of
view, (C, E, G)->(C, F, A) is has size three, since one voice moves
by one semitone, and another moves by two semitones.  By contrast,
(C, E, G)->(C, F, Ab) is size two, since two voices move by
semitone.  There's no contradiction between this way of thinking
about distance and the geometrical perspective; this is just one of
the many possible metrics you can choose.

It would be a mistake, however, to associate this method of measuring
distance too closely with either the Tonnetz or neo-Riemannian
theory.  From a NR-perspective, F major is *closer* to C major than F
minor is -- the progresson F->C is LR, whereas f->C is PLR.  (Using
the "taxicab" metric, the opposite is the case.)  Consequently, NR-
theory doesn't seem to explain why F minor so often appears as a
passing chord between F major and C major -- from an NR perspective
the progression F->f->C moves away from C major and before moving
back toward it.  The moral is that neo-Riemannian distances (measured
in "units" of LPR or in edge-preserving Tonnetz-flips) are *not*
voice leading distances.  This is a complicated and subtle issue
about which much more could be said.

As far as I understand, the first geometrical models in which all
distances represent taxicab distance are those provided by Douthett
and Steinbach in 1998, particularly "Cube Dance."  These models are
all embedded naturally in the relevant orbifolds representing n-note
chords.

> And I am ready to choose certain  metric from a number of others
> offered by topology. For example, I will decline your proposition
> that the E and Ab triads are the closest to C triad. In the metric
> of tonal-functional harmony, the G triad is the closest to C triad.
> You simply cannot fit any other triads in between in a meaningful
> progression. That is what I meant in my rather awkward critique,
> that the geometry of note heads on the staff presents the metric
> which is drastically different from the one we use when playing and
> singing most of tonal music.

Oh, OK, I should've clarified the following.  Rachel Hall and I have
worked to describe acceptable *voice-leading* metrics.  There are
other notions of musical distance (including tonal distance, or that
offered by NR-theory) that can be perfectly reasonable in some
circumstances, but that don't measure voice leading.  Acoustically,
you might think that G4 is very close to C3, since it's the second
overtone of the lower note.  But you're not measuring voice leading
if you think that C3->G4 is a "small" motion.  Again, a lot more
could be said about this.

BTW, I would say that you can fit other triads between C and G.  In C
major, the progression C->a->d->G is perfectly reasonable.  And you
sometimes find G->e->C, both in the baroque and in 19th-century
music.  The question of whether tonal harmony is fifths-based or
thirds-based is a complex one; and you can make a good case for
thirds, rather than fifths.  Interestingly, then you're back to voice-
leading, since third-related diatonic triads are linked by single
(diatonic) step voice leading.

DT

Dmitri Tymoczko
Associate Professor of Music
310 Woolworth Center
Princeton, NJ 08544-1007
(609) 258-4255 (ph), (609) 258-6793 (fax)
http://music.princeton.edu/~dmitri