[Smt-talk] Headlam on Orbifolds

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 14 09:51:02 PDT 2009

Dear Dmitri,

thank you very much for your elaborate clarification. I am especially excited to hear the distinction between NR theory and your own. I remember Richard Cohn discussing the two-step paradox at one of the West Coast Chapter conferences. Indeed, the two half-step moves have to be interpreted in some way and placed in a context of a theory. I think both Lewin's transformational idea and RN parsimony are not considering topology yet, while your approach is all about topology.

To your taxi-cab metric I would add "the 7 bridges of Koenigsberg," or, my favorite, a comparison of a bagel with the handbell. The ultimate fun of topology is that "size does not matter," or that size is conditional upon the system of measurement or underlying space. Two parallel straight lines do not cross. Two parallel straight lines necessarily cross if they are located on a sphere (Lobachevsky). In general, the novelty of topology can be seen in the difference between the blueprint and the map, or between the topographical map and topological map, in which the latter suggests spatial logic without imposing a single measurement system.

I do not see any problems with your approach, but I have some questions to basic assumptions about adjacency made by Schenkerian and Fortean theories. Yes, there is a phenomenon of melodic stepwise motion and it plays an important role in music. It was known well before Schenker and voice leading has been the goal of many national pedagogic systems of the past.  But this motion does not override other factors such as tonal functions. They work together making harmony, or part-writing (as mentioned in one of latest postings), a heterogeneous system. Harmonic progression cannot be reduced to melodic stepwise motion by debunking the tonal function, but it needs melodic stepwise component for the coherence of the finished product. In fact, the requirement of stepwise motion is mandatory for inner voices, it is applied to melodic voice together with the demand for strong functional relationship, but it is not mandatory for the bass.  In general, it is nice
 to see voices in a progression moving stepwise, but what is the engine that moves them, if not the tonal function? What makes the G “wanting to go to C?” What does the word “resolution” mean to you?

 In this respect, I see no problems feeding a different data into your system. Let us imagine that a semitone does not represent the smallest distance in all cases. Ernst Kurth wrote so much about B to C relationship, that this distance is not the closest and it takes much energy to cover it. Schenkerians also talk about “neighbor leap,” meaning that a leap can function as an adjacency. Motion from C to G seems to present a larger distance than that from C to C#. For a mathematician this is the fact.. For a person who has spent 11 years in Ear Training class studying tonal structure this is not exactly so. From a certain point of view, the distance between C and G is small. The distance from G to C is even smaller (our musical space is warped!). The distance from C4 to C5 is almost indistinguishable.

If you need a mathematical explanation, look no further than Nicomachus. Greeks were also preoccupied with the relationships of tones and applied math in their analyses. They have found that a superparticular relationship rules harmony. Duplex (1 ands 2), sesquialtera (2 and 3), sesquitertium (3 to 4), sesquiquartum (4 and 5) and sesquiquintum (5 to 6). And nowadays, the superparticular numbers are called “smooth numbers.” Is not this what Richard and you are looking for in voice leading? In this calculation, the semitone represents the relationship of unrelated numbers. As for the Schenker’s graphic representation of voice leading, topology can provide an interesting turn. For centuries, the stars in constellation Centaurus were considered to be adjacent to each other. It is known today that alpha Centauri is just 1.4 parsecs from the Earth while beta Centauri is whopping 107 parsecs. There is, however, a proxima Centairi, the adjacent to alpha,
 but nobody for centuries has seen it.

Best wishes,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory