[Smt-talk] Headlam on Orbifolds

Dave Headlam dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu
Thu Mar 19 12:23:35 PDT 2009

Dmitri:

There¹s certainly nothing wrong with asking basic questions and looking for
elemental issues ‹ but within a context  . . . .

1. I said C and C# are separated harmonically.  If we add D, then we are
talking about C and D which are not as far removed, and C# can mediate.  But
these are two vastly different scenarios.  Indeed ³a semitone is a vast
distance harmonically² needs a context, precisely the ³direct / indirect
distinction² that is basic to #IV and other such approaches. (C-F#, versus
C-G(F#), C-G (D-F#) etc. see Lewin GMIT)

2.  IV and ii6/5  (long history here, Rameau, the double emploi, etc.)
indeed have a voice-leading connection (Rothstein dissertation on special
nature of 5-6), as often one is of contrapuntal origin.

3.  In tonal music, indeed there is a small repertoire of chords with
similar intervallic characteristics and SOME voices tend to move stepwise ‹
other voices jump around ‹ depending on harmonic progression and function ,
etc.   Coherence (IMO) comes not from these elements (except in a local
sense) but from large-scale returns / prolongations, etc. of keys and
motivic ideas.

4.  no doubt that C-C-C sounds different than C-E-G  -- I don¹t have stats
at the ready on how much complete chords appear and when ‹ but it is at
least arguable whether permutational equivalence (PE) like C-E-G_, E-G-C,
G-C-E applies to tonal music, and perhaps we can also argue about C-C_C_,
C-C-E, and C-E-G being in some senses equvalent.  But there is something to
debate here. (unmusical is too strong here).  In this context please see
Howard Cinammon¹s dissertation for voice-leading in 19th c. music ‹ in tonal
and symmetrical contexts ‹ way ahead of it¹s time and should be required
reading for all 19th c. aficionados.

5.  oribifolds:  PE as above, IC  = incomplete chords, which don¹t stay in
one area ‹ I¹ll give up that old one about the ³stay in the same area of the
orbifold² (although that was a big part of your media splash)

5a.  Stravinsky rotational arrays:  from single note unisons to complex
chords, same with Perle in the Sonata a quatro ‹ Ravel in le gibet (Bb), in
C (in the recorded version with high Cs) -- some examples of ³unisons² in
complex contexts ‹ and of course, Berg¹s Wozzeck at Marie¹s death (B s), but
it¹s true (I think) that harmonic ³consistency² is more often the case -- (
look at Wallace Berry, Struc. Functions chapter 2 ‹ a real gem on texture).

6.  The last one is worth a dissertation ‹ what is voice-leading?  If you
want to turn voice-leading into ³voice-leading² (like Lewin¹s interval into
³interval², Forte¹s set into ³set², Perle¹s sum into ³sum², etc.) as a
generalized notion then you have to lay out the premises

1. an actual physical ³small² connection between two notes, or an abstract
connection between two possible implied entities
2.  governed by group theory / Euclidean solid angles / etc. or more
topological / stringy
3.  a function, operation, etc.  (not a thing but a motion, etc.)
4.  explanatory or defining? (see Roeder on Schoenberg) What is it supposed
to reflect faithfully without becoming circular?
5.  part of some chronological , progressive syntax or recreated constantly
6.  a subset / superset of Lewin?  Explains harmony or explained by harmony?
Prolongational or associational?
7.  kinetic, evolutionary (the voice and the hand), cultural (childrens
nursery rhymes)
8.  Schenkerian, Perlian, Fortean, neo-R ?  Is the search for step-wise
motion part of the ten commandments of music?

What¹s the VL in Schoenberg¹s opus 11?  Blasse Washerin?  (see James Baker
on opus 19/ I)  In Berg¹s opus 5?  In Webern¹s opus 5/III?  (see Mark
Sallmen¹s fine work here).  Same principles as in WTC I ‹ or all new, or
some transformation?  Rothstein has an article on stepwise motion in
Martino¹s music ‹ same as in WTC I?  What about in Webern¹s op 5/II --
along Lewin¹s network model of 026s ‹ harmonic space or voice-leading within
the space of the trichord?  (what¹s the diff?)

Certainly an interesting topic ‹ some wheels are worth reinventing, but
don¹t forget to mention Goodyear.

Finally, In this and other contexts, please read Walter O¹Connell¹s article
on Tone Spaces in Die Reihe 8.  One of the great articles ‹ thanks to Andy
Mead for pointing it out to me (I¹ve written on it, in the Western Ontario
Studies in Music Series) -- it deserves a wide audience ‹ if anybody knows
who O¹Connell was, I¹d appreciate hearing about him.

Dave

Dave Headlam
Professor of Music Theory

Eastman School of Music