[Smt-talk] Headlam on Orbifolds

Daniel Wolf djwolf at snafu.de
Thu Mar 19 22:51:15 PDT 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 20:23:35 +0100, Dave Headlam
<dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu> wrote:

> Finally, In this and other contexts, please read Walter O¹Connell¹s
> article
> on Tone Spaces in Die Reihe 8.  One of the great articles ‹ thanks to
> Andy
> Mead for pointing it out to me (I¹ve written on it, in the Western
> Ontario
> Studies in Music Series) -- it deserves a wide audience ‹ if anybody
> knows
> who O¹Connell was, I¹d appreciate hearing about him.

O'Connell taught physics for many years at Los Angeles City College, where
his students of the years included composers La Monte Young and Kraig
Grady.   He worked with Erv Wilson in the 1960's while Wilson was
developing a variety of methods for graphing tuning systems with axes
representing 2 to 8 factors.   Part 3 of O'Connell's Tone Spaces, which
was not published in Die Reihe, and deals with Phi as a generator for
tonal structure, was eventually published in an issue of Xenharmonikon.

Daniel Wolf
composer
Frankfurt