[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Jeffrey Perry jperry at lsu.edu
Sun Mar 22 07:13:36 PDT 2009

Thomas--
    OK, I¹ll be the simpleton who asks, ³has Bierwisch ever heard of
Schenker?²
    Of course, I¹m at a disadvantage‹by speaking about ³true² recursion B.
seems to have something more rigorous ans formalized in mind than the
everyday definitions of recursion that satisfy mere musicians like myself.
Furthermore, is Schenker¹s concept of structural levels interesting because
it¹s recursive, or because it helps us (using something like recursion)
understand music that¹s important to us?
Best,
jp
Jeff Perry
Associate Professor of Music Theory