[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Richard Hermann harhar at unm.edu
Sun Mar 22 10:05:25 PDT 2009

Dear all,

	I find this thread less interesting than it might be because the
term "recursion" has many different meanings attached to it in
different fields. My first exposure was in computer programming, and
descriptions of "recursion" in Schenkerian thought made little sense
to me at first because of my initial exposure to the term. In such
circumstances, it is easy to pull out a definition that will tank
someone else's position. I believe philosophers call this
"equivocation of terms."
	Thomas, how was this problem addressed at the conference? It must
have been very stimulating.

Best,

Richard Hermann, Prof. of Music
Univ. of New Mexico