[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Dmitri Tymoczko dmitri at Princeton.EDU
Sun Mar 22 10:51:44 PDT 2009

Over the last few years, I've been working on the problem of trying
to figure out whether the rules of functional harmony are recursive,
and if so, to what extent.  This is one reason I enlisted a group of
theorists to produce a corpus of Roman Numeral analyses of the Mozart
sonatas -- that is, to ask whether we need recursive rules to
describe the chord progressions we find in the music.  So far, the
data seems to suggest that the answer is "no."  Simple rules like "ii
goes to V but not vice versa" account for the data pretty well.  One
important exception is the practice of secondary dominants, which
permits V/x->x to be embedded inside I->...->V->I in a different
key.  This seems genuinely recursive.

Some early work on these ideas is summarized here:

http://music.princeton.edu/~dmitri/tonaltheories.pdf

Published (in French, in Nicholas Meeus's excellent translation) in
Musurgia.  More is coming in my book.

To make further progress on this topic, one needs -- as Richard
Hermann suggests -- to define terms more precisely.  In particular,
one needs to distinguish

	1. Psychological theories, which claim we need recursion to account
for our *perception* of music, from grammatical theories, which claim
we need recursion to account for the formal structures in pieces,
whether perceived or no.

	2. Hierarchical theories, which suggest (incontrovertibly) that
different sorts of rules govern different levels of musical
structure, from recursive theories, which claim that tonal structures
are built up by embedding musical units within other units of the
same type.  (For instance, ii/ii->V/ii->ii embedded within I->ii->V->I.)

It's certainly true that many theorists -- including Schenker, Sadai,
Lerdahl, and Jackendoff -- have claimed tonal harmony is recursive.
Figuring out whether this is in fact true is, to my mind, a very deep
and important problem.  It speaks to fundamental issues about the
human mind: about the extent to which recursion is basic to human
cognition, and about the extent to which music and language are similar.

Interestingly, this is also a hot topic in linguistics.  I've
recently been giving a talk, to philosophers and linguists, about why
I think linguistics is a bad model for music theory.  Whenever I try
to contrast language with music, claiming that the former is more
obviously recursive than the latter, I encounter dissident linguists
who say, in essence, "a lot of what you say about music is true about
language too."  This issue is, as they say, above my pay grade, but
it's interesting that some of the same issues arise in the two
disciplines.

DT

Dmitri Tymoczko
Associate Professor of Music
310 Woolworth Center
Princeton, NJ 08544-1007
(609) 258-4255 (ph), (609) 258-6793 (fax)
http://music.princeton.edu/~dmitri