[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Wayne Slawson ygm at yankgulchmusic.com
Sun Mar 22 16:02:15 PDT 2009

Hi Folks,

I think Dimitri rightly cites secondary dominants as evidence of
"hierarchical" recursion, but there's more (as they say in those TV
ads).  I think it's very hard indeed to analyze Goldberg Var. 25
without a kind of recursion that "rewrites" a single unit from the
underlying bass of the Saraband---a well-formed harmonic progression
itself, of course---as an entire well-formed progression on the level
of that unit.  For example, the A-flat in the second bar is a pretty
convincing suggestion that we're now starting a one-bar "Opening
Phrase (I to V)" here in F-minor (i.e., the F that is the second unit
of the bass in its minor version).  A similar spot in bar 10-11(also
on an F from the bass) is even more elaborate, with, incidently, many
secondary dominants.   We seem here to have at least two levels of
recursion.

To be clear about this one would need a system of rules that include
re-writing rules---or, as Chomsky called them, transformational
rules---that generate these kinds of things.   John Peel and I gave a
try at this in our review of Lerdahl and Jackendoff's book published
in JMT 28, 271--294 (1984).  Bob Morris offers something like this as
well: pp 339-340 in PNM
33:1&2 (1995).  This kind of recursion is not unlike, say,  your
usual C-language recursive subroutine, in which a simple test---here
some kind of end-of-phrase marker---backs you out of the otherwise
infinite process.

Chomsky insisted (or at least he did around the time of "Syntactic
Structures") that the infinite embedding of relative clauses has to
be allowed by the syntax, even if it never occurs, of course, in the
actual utterance ("performance") of anyone, no matter how long-
winded.  One way of approaching a (sympathetic) critique of
Schenker's ideas would be to attempt to compose a corpus of phrase-
structure and transformation rewriting rules that would generate
"correct", say, middlegrounds, along the lines of Michael Kassler's
work in 1975 (cited in ftnt 2 of the Peel/Slawson review).

I take it that recursion is hard to fit into a geometric model of
distance, or am I missing something?

Wayne Slawson