[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Dmitri Tymoczko dmitri at Princeton.EDU
Sun Mar 22 16:27:36 PDT 2009

> I think Dimitri ...

Actually "Dmitri" with no "i" between the "D" and "m."  You wouldn't
believe the trouble this causes with telephone-operator types.

> rightly cites secondary dominants as evidence of "hierarchical"
> recursion, but there's more (as they say in those TV ads).  I think
> it's very hard indeed to analyze Goldberg Var. 25 without a kind of
> recursion that "rewrites" a single unit from the underlying bass of
> the Saraband---a well-formed harmonic progression itself, of
> course---as an entire well-formed progression on the level of that
> unit.  For example, the A-flat in the second bar is a pretty
> convincing suggestion that we're now starting a one-bar "Opening
> Phrase (I to V)" here in F-minor (i.e., the F that is the second
> unit of the bass in its minor version).  A similar spot in bar 10-11
> (also on an F from the bass) is even more elaborate, with,
> incidently, many secondary dominants.   We seem here to have at
> least two levels of recursion.

Two general points:

	1. I've mainly been thinking about recursion in the harmonic
grammar; I leave open the question about whether there is recursion
in other domains.

	2. Variations structures, or places where one passages of music
rewrites another, may be a special circumstance.  Philip Johnson
Laird addresses this issue (with specific reference to Chomsky and
recursion) in "How Jazz Musicians Improvise" (Music Perception, 2002).

About your specific example, I'm not sure I quite follow.  Are you
making a claim over and above the fact that this is a sequence?  If
the idea is that this is a sequential pattern that elaborates the
theme's descending bass, I agree that it forms a potential example of
recursion.

The question about whether sequences are recursive is a complicated one.

	One the one hand, someone might say: sequences aren't necessarily
recursive, are they?  You just take a chunk of music and repeat it,
transposed by some interval.  Eventually you stop.  It's not clear
that we need a recursive grammar to explain this.

	On the other, it's clear that sequences involve a hierarchical
structure, and that you can't explain them with a simple chord-to-
chord (first-order Markov) model.  This is a point Salzer expresses
quite forcefully at the start of Structural hearing.

Note, BTW, that this Bach passages is one of my stepwise descending
VL sequences: (G, Bb, D)->(F#, A, D)->(F, Ab, C)->(E, G, C) ...
Basically the Waldstein with mode changes.

> I take it that recursion is hard to fit into a geometric model of
> distance, or am I missing something?

I don't see any special problem.  You can talk about voice-leading
distance on the chord-to-chord level, or between the start of each
sequential units -- as when a theorist like Caplin says that the
descending fifths sequence is really descending by step.

More generally, Schenkerians talk about voice-leading relationships
at various levels of the recursive hierarchy; each level could be
modeled geometrically.

DT

Dmitri Tymoczko
Associate Professor of Music
310 Woolworth Center
Princeton, NJ 08544-1007
(609) 258-4255 (ph), (609) 258-6793 (fax)
http://music.princeton.edu/~dmitri