[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Wayne Slawson ygm at yankgulchmusic.com
Mon Mar 23 19:43:43 PDT 2009

I can believe that recursion can be admitted into a geometric model;
the question for me is whether that would be a plausible way of
modeling recursion in classical music.  But this may be a good way
for an old guy to get into this new stuff.  I'll think over Dmitri's
suggestions:

> I don't see any special problem.  You can talk about voice-leading
> distance on the chord-to-chord level, or between the start of each
> sequential units -- as when a theorist like Caplin says that the
> descending fifths sequence is really descending by step.
>
> More generally, Schenkerians talk about voice-leading relationships
> at various levels of the recursive hierarchy; each level could be
> modeled geometrically.

Regarding the first two measures of the Goldberg V. 25:  Yes, one
could call this a sequence because the surface details from the first
measure are repeated a whole-step down in the second.  And, yes, one
could say that sequences are either examples of recursion---along the
lines of my suggestion earlier---or conversely just moving a bunch of
music up or down.  These two measures can be heard either way (I
guess).   But the Saraband Bass is expressed as small, well-formed
progressions _throughout the variation_.  At bars 9--11, for example,
where the bass repeats the first three bass notes of the beginning,
there is no sequence, but there are the lower-level progressions.
The one on F is now a closing phrase:

			B-flat5,3/F6,3/G7,3(natural)/C7,3(natural)/F3("flat" then natural
in the figuration)].
	In F:		  IV             I        V of V
V                       I

It's not possible to _prove_ that recursion is required in cases like
these, but it seems the most plausible, and simplest explanation.
We're in exactly the same situation as the linguists in mid-century.
Chomsky couldn't prove that a Markov grammar was inadequate to
explain nested relative clauses; but he could come up with hard
cases.  (I wish I could dredge up his famous eleven-level-of-
recursion sentence whose sentenceship was so hard to confirm that
some thought it a counter-case to his argument.)

Recursive structures tend to be hard to understand in both language
and music.  It's not so hard to compose them, but the burden on the
listener/reader can be pretty heavy.  I think this makes multi-level
recursion fairly rare.   It might account for the failure of Dmitri's
search for harmonic recursion in Mozart's Piano Sonatas.  Mozart may
have wanted to keep that aspect of his music simple---in contrast to
Papa Bach.   (I think there are intimations of recursive-like
structures in places, however:  emphasis on the melodic sixth-degree
in K. 333 is reflected in a dominant pedal on V of VI  near the end
of the Development.  There are other instances throughout that
piece.)  Deep recursion's relative rarity does not mean that it can
be ignored, and, in any case, the simplest cases, secondary
dominants, are ubiquitous.

I agree with Dmitri that music-theoretical recognition and
description of recursion in music would be an important and
interesting effort.  Success would decisively generalize the
cognitive status of features widely held to be language-specific.  A
heady prospect, indeed!

And, yes, I've noticed the connection to the Waldstein.   Do you
think the move to III# is a kind of reflection of the opening?

Wayne Slawson