[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Thomas Noll noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 24 12:31:29 PDT 2009

An exciting new book, edited by Pieter Bergé entitled "Musical Form,
Forms, Formenlehre" (2009, Leuven University Press) with lectures,
comments and responses by William Caplin, James Hepokoski and James
Webster contains a contribution by William Caplin, presented in the
Formenlehre-session at the Euro-MAC 2007 in Freiburg. There we find
tree structures with two kinds of labels, namely temporal functions
and formal functions. It is the labeling with temporal functions
(before-the-beginning, beginning, middle, end, after-the-end), where
recursion becomes manifest.
I'm grateful to my colleague Karst de Jong, who lent me his copy this
morning. What I took for a vague and undigested idea of mine in my
posting of yesterday is actually a sediment of memory from William
Caplin's inspiring lecture, where the well-digested idea was
supported by good arguments and examples. I apologize if I caused
wrong déjà-vu experiences or discomfort with my weakness of memory.
Sincerely
Thomas Noll

> technically the (not yet digested) idea would - at first sight -
> lead to derivation trees with labels "presentation",
> "continuation", "cadence" (and some more) for non-terminals and
> concrete units from the score for terminals.

Thomas Noll
http://flp.cs.tu-berlin.de/~noll
noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Escola Superior de Musica de Catalunya, Barcelona
Departament de Teoria i Composició
Tel (priv.):   +34 93 268 75 19
Tel (mobil): +34 66 368 12 02