[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 24 21:04:14 PDT 2009

That was a memorable conference, indeed! I thought that something great should come out of it. For me, the most exciting aspect was to see the three leading theorists from North America giving the keynote speeches at the EUROMAC and German Society for Music Theory joint meeting.

I still think that recursion is just a small detail in the logic of form as it has been discussed in Freiburg. It is not the panacea for either natural language or music. I sense also that Dr. Meeus has much more to offer from his French experience of reflection on language.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
Ikhanna1 at jhmi.edu