[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 25 18:14:43 PDT 2009

Dear Thomas,

I think I am getting this, little by little. Something similar has been done in literary analysis under the term "juxtaposition of metaphor on metonymy." Derrida and Paul de Man liked to talk about this. In fact, they tried to use rhetoric en lieu of grammar and vice versa. In other words, to do paradigmatic analysis (tropes, figures) as if they were dealing with syntax, and to treat syntax as a kind of metaphorical expression. I have to say that it did work.

North American understanding of tonal functions is, indeed, purely syntactic. That is why Riemann is hastily discarded with his Tonvorstellungen. Pradigmatic, or, in your words, semantic understanding of tonal functions is not common in the US. I would add my two cents by saying that paradigmatic perception of tonal functions is not inborn. It comes with special training (ear training) directed at hearing them phenomenally, but in my years of training in a pro-Riemannian land I have not heard a clear explanation of what tags the T, S, and D together (syn-tags them).  Are you trying to explain it by using recursion?

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory