[Smt-talk] COMPOSITION PEDAGOGY

Stephen Guy Soderberg ssod at loc.gov
Wed Mar 25 11:19:38 PDT 2009

Approaching from another angle...

I am reminded of an article by Charles Rosen that appeared in the very first issue of Perspectives (fall 1962) entitled "The Proper Study of Music."  The last sentence reads:

"But those who wish really to study music should be taught composition in all its contemporary forms: we may then hope and pray that the majority will never become composers."

A fist fight broke out, of course.  (See correspondence from Joseph Kerman & Rosen's reply in PNM fall-winter 1963.)

Cheers,

Steve Soderberg
Library of Congress