[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 30 10:49:52 PDT 2009

Dear Nicolas,

thank you very much for a very informative and friendly response. There are no fundamental disagreements in our positions. I also find it fascinating how much attention is given to voice leading in North American theory, something which was taken for granted by me in Russia. I aould like to add also that your position is exlusive because you are working in the middle of Europe with the views on voice leading similar to North American. You can see more and farther from your standpoint.

It seems to me that in the course of present discussion we can come up with something truly comprehensive and miltiplicit. And yes, we should include the basso fondamentale into our discussion. It was an excellent discovery of its time. As fo visual metaphors, philosophers struggle with them, but they are unavoidable. I just wanted to make sure that this character of our discussion of musical space is taken into consideration.

Best,

Ildar

Peabody Conservatory
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com